Monday, October 11, 2010

Esther

So over the last month I have been learning all about the book of Esther thanks to an amazing bible study by Beth Moore. I get to meet with 15+ girls every other Monday and we walk through the study and talk how it applies to our lives as women....and somedays it just isn't easy being a woman....amen? All this to say is that yesterday in "big church" Jon taught about Esther. I felt so cool, I really knew what he was talking about, I knew the characters and the story line. I felt like an expert. I love the story of Esther. I love her faithfulness, and her inner beauty. I love that she takes on the challenge of what God created her for. I love that she listens and obeys. I love that she came from such heartache (losing both parents) and humbly rose to the top....She gives me hope that I was made for such a time as this.

This made me think...what if I was familiar with every character in the bible? What if I knew about each person's story? I am that girl who when told to look up a certain book in the bible, I immediately begin to sweat and then look at the Table of Contents. I don't want others to see that I don't know where certain books are (I know Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Romans...and about where Ephesians and Phillipians are). I am grateful that they put the verses on the screens in big church, by the time I get to them in my bible.....let's just say the sermon is over. I have a paperclip where Esther is in my bible, so during my study it is really easy to locate my girl.

So, back to my point. I want to make an effort to spend more time in the word. To really get to know the people in the bible. To know the stories. Hopefully, Esther is my starting point.

No comments: