Monday, January 24, 2011

Bargaining

Upon reading through my book "Let Go" for work, I stumbled upon the following...

"Usually we want to drive a bargain with God (in regards to suffering). We would at least like to suggest some limits so that we can see an end to our own sufferings. We don't realize how we are thwarting the purposes of God when we take this attitude. Because the stubborn clinging to life which makes the cross necessary in the first place, also tends us to reject that cross--at least in part. So we have to go cover the same ground again and again."
Guilty! Beth Moore joked around last week at bible study (sounds like she was there), and said everyone prays that nothing bad happens to them, family, or anyone they know...but that isn't reality. Suffering is part of life....part of life that Jesus said would happen. We will have trouble, but it is how we react when suffering that people notice. I think that when I am suffering, I have a better relationship with Christ then when life is going well. I tend to cling to Him when times are hard, and then simply acknowlege him when life is good. I am not saying that I want to suffer (and the anxious person inside of me is saying you are asking for it), I am just saying I want a consistent relationship with God. I want to rely on him in good and bad. I want to listen and hear from him all the time. The person keeping me from that consistent relationship is me....I am too busy to take time, until I am thrown into a time of suffering, ect....
So my prayer today is that I can sit and listen to him. That I can hear from him. That I can rely on him, and praise him. All in all...I am so glad for HIM! What would I do without that relationship...even when I tend to make it 20-80 most of the time. Grateful for His grace. I want to stop bargaining with him....I just want to trust him knowing that no matter what...He is.

No comments: