Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis


my little boy has an IV


this is where we slept, me and colin, very cozy!


food!!!!!


finally, we get to feed our sweet boy


ready to go home, happy to be cared for by such amazing people at UK


mommy and camden finally home and after along 2 days we snuggled

What's that you say.....that is the reason for my little guys spit up issues. I am sorry it has taken me so long to post about our crazy week and adventure to the University of Kentucky Children's Hospital, but honestly it took a lot out of us and I finally feel caught up on my sleep and less emotional about the whole situation. As you know Memorial Day weekend we started dealing with some serious spit up issues, which now I realize were more throw up issues. Our little guy continued to get worse and worse throughout the weekend (throwing up once a night Friday and Saturday, to two-three times after feedings, to after each feeding). Needless to say I had calls into the Pediatrician on Monday and Tuesday and they were so helpful. I told them he was spitting up because I didn't want to sound like psycho new mom, but I did tell them he was waking up and choking, hitting the back of his crib, ect. They gave me all kinds of suggestions, decrease the amount of formula, keep him upright 30-60 minutes after his feeding, we changed to Dr Brown's bottles because we thought he was taking in too much air....they said a sign that it was time to bring him in was if he stopped having wet and dirty diapers. This occured on Tuesday and at 9AM I was back on the phone with the pediatrician and had an appointment at 2PM.

The morning and afternoon were hard because my little guy was obviously not feeling well. I kept feeding him because he would cry and want food, but two seconds after he finished and I would go to burp him, he'd throw up. Thankfully my mom and dad were around to help me, and my mom actually went to the dr with me. Colin was meeting me there but was going to be late. My mom didnt want me to be alone because she thought he'd be admitted to help hydrate his little body. Colin and I really expected the Doctor to tell us Camden had reflux and to switch formulas. So, when the Dr (who was amazing and diagnosed Camden quickly and efficiently) send us over to have an ultrasound to check for Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis and possible surgery we were beyond shocked. What threw us for a loop is that the ultrasound tech confirmed the above diagnosis....here is what WEB MD says HPS is:


What is pyloric stenosis?
Pyloric stenosis is a condition in which a baby's pylorus gradually swells and thickens, which interferes with food entering the intestine. The pylorus is the connection between the stomach and the first part of the small intestine (duodenum).

Pyloric stenosis can occur any time between birth and 5 months of age. But it most commonly develops about 3 weeks after birth. If your baby was premature, symptoms may be delayed.

See a picture of pyloric stenosis.

What causes pyloric stenosis?
The exact cause of pyloric stenosis is not known. The condition likely develops for more than one reason. In some cases, pyloric stenosis may be passed down through families (inherited), or a baby may have the problem as part of another genetic condition. Antibiotics, such as erythromycin, given to a baby within the first 2 weeks of life may slightly increase his or her chances for developing pyloric stenosis. But it is very unlikely that taking antibiotics would by itself cause pyloric stenosis.

In the past, pyloric stenosis was considered a birth defect. Now there is some evidence that it develops after birth.

What are the symptoms?
Vomiting all or most of feedings is the main symptom of pyloric stenosis. Vomiting usually starts gradually, but as the pylorus becomes tighter over time, your baby's vomiting becomes more forceful (projectile vomiting). If your baby's vomit is yellow or green, it may suggest a more serious problem than pyloric stenosis.

A baby with pyloric stenosis acts irritable and hungry, even immediately after being fed. You also may notice that your baby has fewer wet diapers and fewer, harder stools. If the vomiting continues, your baby can become dehydrated.

How is pyloric stenosis diagnosed?
Your baby's doctor can diagnose pyloric stenosis by a physical examination and by reviewing your baby's symptoms. An upper gastrointestinal (UGI) series or an abdominal ultrasound can be used to diagnose the condition. Blood tests also may be done to see whether your baby is dehydrated.

How is it treated?
Pyloric stenosis is corrected by surgery. Almost all babies recover completely.


So, after our ultrasound we headed back to the pediatrician where he contacted UK Children's Hospital, specifically a surgeon who could help our little guy. At this point I am in tears, fighting back the face that my baby (5 weeks old) is going to possibly undergo surgery. We prayed on the way to UK that God would show up in a big way.....and He did! When we walked into the hospital the surgeon met us as we were being admitted. He told us about the surgery...he encouraged us that Camden would never remember this, but we would never forget it. He told us there was more of a risk for Camden driving to the hospital and that they perform 5-7 of these a week. The bad news was that our little guy would not be able to eat until after the surgery, which wouldn't be until the next morning. Our next prayer is that Cam would get a good nights sleep (obviously we wouldn't), which would be difficult because he wouldn't be eating. God answered our prayers and our little guy slept through the night....he woke up once and wanted to be held and we were all about some snuggle time. At that point all he had was an IV on his little arm (which broke my heart and resulted in tears by both mom and grandaddy).

I slept maybe two hours....I prayed, listened to my ipod, blogged, and tossed and turned (trying not to knock my husband off our couch we shared). I just prayed that God would take care of my sweet boy. During the night we had an awesome nurse (Andrea) and guy who took Cam's vitals (Hope). Such gifts to a mom and dad worried to death but trying to keep a smile on their faces.

The following morning as we walked to pre-op with our boy I was really struggling, I was about to hand over my tiny 8lb baby over to total strangers. THIS WAS THE HARDEST PART! After they took our tiny baby the nurses gave Colin and I some time to just cry and hold each other (tears are flowing yet again). He was in God's hands, He was going to be the one caring for our boy while he was out of our sight. We waited for about an hour and had family and friends surround us, we had prayers from all over the place, and we had faith that God was ultimately in control. We finally got a call that our little boy was out of surgery and all went well and was very successful and he was heading back to our room. Colin and I ran back up to the room where they wheeled our little bundle (all wrapped up in a huge warm blanket). I could get the crib rails down fast enough....I snatched my baby up and just held him and cried....so, so thankful that he was back in my arms and healthy.

That afternoon we had to get two consecutive feedings of formula down before we could go home. As the afternoon went on, I just became more and more exhausted. Colin and I held Camden and just started at all the wires coming off his little body. We kept thinking, is this really happening. Did our child really just have to have surgery (not a complicated procedure, but still a procedure done on our child). We were happy that all feedings were staying down successfully and it looked like we were going to get to go home after our 6 feeding. We were discharged from UK, and buckled into carseats, packed up walking out of our room and stopping to tell Heather thank you and Camden spit up....not a lot and totally typical during recovery from this surgery.....but it meant we had to turn around and do two more feedings before we could go home....HOME, where we really wanted to be. However, God provided a really cool conversation that never would have happened had we left at 6.

Remember Hope? He was our friend who checked Camden's vitals, well he came into our room around 9 and opened up about he and his wife trying to have a baby for the last 10 years. They had tried everything and their next step was in vitro and they just didn't know what to do. We were happy to introduce him to our in vitro miracle and he just lit up. He and Colin and a great conversation and it turns out he and his wife go to Dr. Akin......as he walked out the door he turned around and smiled....we saw hope in his eyes. He mentioned his wife is really struggling with not having baby and he couldn't wait to call her and tell her about the conversation. God is so big, so good, and always in control....what timing?

At 2AM the Stout's loaded up and headed home. We had one incident once home, a call to the surgeon and a quick run to Walgreen's for Pedialyte but a succussful surgery. A week later our boy is eating, pooping, and peeing like a champ. He is eating four ounces every three hours.....Praise God. Long Blog, sorry and thanks for reading if you made it this far. Love ya'll
Em

3 comments:

Mama Smors said...

Emily~ I am so glad to hear that Camden is doing well. I can't imagine how scared you were when you sweet baby had to be wheeled away for surgery... complicated or not it is still scary! God is so good- ALL THE TIME!

Whitney (for the rest of the Shouses) said...

So scary! I can't imagine going through any of that. I'll be praying for you all and I'm so glad to hear he's doing well now!

Unknown said...

ohmygoodness - i'm just catching up on my blog reading and am in shock! poor little camden!!

what can i do? do you guys feel up to our afternoon visit? i'll be there unless i hear otherwise but please don't feel like we can't reschedule! take care! xo, -melanie-