Thursday, July 24, 2008

Shaken or Swirled

Well last night was my first shot and I decided that I could do it on my own. I knew that I had to learn because today I am heading to the lake with two of my dearest friends (Jess and Swill) and they don't feel comfortable shooting up their friend. My friend Kristin, who is the nurse, isn't willing to drive 45 minutes to the lake just to inject me (I guess because of gas prices...hahahaha!). So, I took my meds over to Kris and Matt's house, I was very gently with the medicine because the directions specifically state (DO NOT SHAKE, only swirl). I freaked out when it slipped off my lap and onto the floor board at one point, then remembered it was shipped via Fed-X and just might have already endured a few "shakes." When we got to their house I knew what I was about to do, face one of my biggest fears (needles), and officially start the whole process. I tried to play it cool for a minute by loading up the meds in the needle myself and alcohol swabbing my belly, but then I froze. Kristin was very encouraging I think she only screamed "do it!" 5-7 times before I SLOWLY place the needle in my belly, injected and then pulled out only to bleed. Now one of my other fears is blood....God has a sense of humor. Matt, who is a fireman recommended that next time I pinch some skin up on my belly (shouldn't be a problem) and then quickly place the needle in. Oh gosh......I just realized I have to do this again tonight.
I have a little bruise on my belly, so I will probably be black and blue over the next few weeks from all my injections. I also didn't sleep well, I think that my mind was just racing over the next few weeks. Colin was so good to me and even treated me to an amazing meal at one of my favorite restuarants.

I am so thankful for family and friends that are behind us and encouraging us along the way to "do it!"

We love ya. I am off to the lake for a relaxing night with the girls.....I will post pics tomorrow of our awesome adventure. I still have to take that shot tonight....yikes!

No comments: