Saturday, April 18, 2009

ummmmm, I shouldn't have read that

(Sampson has been passing bedrest playing ball with Grandma, Grandaddy, and Daddy!)

So every Saturday I have enjoyed my Babyzone pregnancy updates. They tell you all about baby, what tasks I should tackle that week, and other pertinent information. Well, this weekend I open up my 37th week of pregnancy and there is a big excerpt on Pre-eeclamsia and Pregnancy Induced Hyper-Tension.....here is what it said to your dear hypo-chondriatic friend:



Reasons for Inducing LaborThe baby's health: Your healthcare provider will carefully monitor your baby-to-be's health throughout pregnancy. If your provider suspects something threatens your baby's progress—for instance, the placenta doesn't seem to be providing enough nourishment—he or she may recommend an induced labor.
The mother's health: Several
high-risk conditions—such as gestational diabetes—may make it necessary to induce. Again, your doctor will monitor your pregnancy for potential problems.
One condition which sometimes necessitates an early delivery is
preeclampsia (also called toxemia or pregnancy-induced hypertension [PIH]). This complication occurs in 10 percent of pregnancies according to the Preeclampsia Foundation. "The specific risk in preeclampsia is that the hypertension can progress to cause seizures and other severe neurologic complications, including stroke," explains Dr. William Camann, MD, director of obstetric anesthesia at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, and coauthor of Easy Labor.
Dr. Camann goes on to explain, "For baby, as the mother's blood pressure goes up [with PIH], the blood flow to the uterus and baby can go down. Thus, the baby can have consequences from too little blood flow and decreased oxygenation."


Really, really, really? So these headaches and my eyes feeling like they are going to pop out are for good reason? What I am trying to say is that I totally trust Dr. Butler and I know if I were to call him at any time, I would be in his care immediately. The best promise is that God, the great Physician is in control and knows baby Camden's exact debut into the world. I need to let go of these worries and hold true to God's promise that He won't let go, and He will take the best care of me.


Deuteronomy 31:8 (New International Version)
8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

Love you guys!

Em

PS I am a little scared so please be praying I can really believe and claim that scripture. So many unknowns. I am praying for a quick, healthy delivery. I am praying that baby Camden can be with us immediately and not have to go to the NICU for any reason. (Dr B said if he came early his lungs may need more time to develop). Oh, pray I will be a nice person to Colin and anyone around me when I am in pain....not my strong suit.



1 comment:

Tricia said...

Let me try to put you at some ease; I KNOW exactly what you are going through. I myself went through the VERY same thing with my 2 daughters 13 and almost 10 years ago. I DID have pre-eclampsia and toxemia. I, too, was on ALOT of bedrest during both of my pregnancies. My girls had lower birth weights than had been predicted by the ultrasound. With that said, neither had to be in the NICU, however, I DID NOT get to go to a regular room for 24 hours because of meds they had to give me and I didn't get to really hold either of the girls much for the 1st 24 hours. The medicine helped tremendously though!! It made my BP go back to almost perfect and made me feel great. I didn't have to have a C-Section either. I was induced, though.

I know you have no idea who I am. I found your blog through Stef's. You have been in my thoughts and prayers often and will continue to be until Camden is here. Everything will be fine. Rest assured your dr knows what he is doing and will not jeopardize your health or Camden's.

If you have any questions about the pre-eclampsia or toxemia, feel free to ask.

Tricia