Monday, September 29, 2008

I will lay down and sleep in peace for you alone O lord make me dwell in safety...Psalm 4:8

I don't even know where to start this post. Colin and I have had the most emotional, scary, heart wrenching weekend. It all started on Saturday morning when I woke up with some cramping. I assumed it was because I had put in a long day at work on Friday and rested for most of the day. Around 3:00 I started moving around and did my baby yoga, a little cleaning, and then headed off to Saturday night church with Stef and her sweet momma. After church I looked at Stef and said I just don't feel right, I feel like I am about to start my period. Colin and I made plans to go on a date to Bonefish Grill after church and I figured we would be sitting and enjoying a good meal together....nothing strenuous. As we were walking to our table on the patio (what a perfect night for dinner on the patio), I knew what had happened. I went to the restroom and my biggest fears were confirmed. I came out and told Colin and immediately called my friends Kristin and Leann who are nurses. Leann told me to call Dr. Akin and most likely he would tell me to go home and put my feet up and rest. Dr. Muse was on call (Dr. Akin's partner) and he instructed me just like Leann had predicted. He also told me 1/3 of women bleed during their pregnancy and that they couldn't do anything for me at that point and to call on Monday.
When Colin and I got home the bleeding and cramping became worse and worse. I was up most of the night just praying that God would protect our sweet baby and not take this precious gift of life away from us. (Side note, I had to do this without my mom and dad, they left on Saturday for Puerto Rico and I know if I had called them they would have been on the first flight home. We didn't know how things would turn out and really wanted them to enjoy their much needed vacation).
Sunday, I began to feel a little better the bleeding slowed down, but the cramping was still there. I just kept praying that Monday would come, I wanted so desperatly to see our sweet baby, and in the same breath I didn't want it to come. I didn't want to know if something was wrong, I didn't want to face a miscarriage, I didn't even want to think that word. Colin and I spent the day laying in bed watching movies, and he really did take great care of me. I am so lucky.
Today I didn't go into work because I wanted to call Dr. Akin's office and try and move my 4:00 appointment up so we didn't have to wait any longer. Luckily they did have a cancellation and we got to go at 1:30. We were basket cases. I couldn't look at Colin, he kept reassuring me that everything was God's plan and that he loved me not matter what. He rubbed my back and just stood there so strong. When Dr Akin finally came in my whole body was shaking. I wanted to know, but I didn't want to know. I was already tearing up when he walked in the room.
At first I didn't see anything, and I was thinking ok God, we trust you and your plan and then all of the sudden we spotted this little bean. It moved and had a strong little heartbeat. It was our baby....ALIVE and well! We cried, we laughed, and we thanked God. Dr. Akin said that I just might be one of the lucky women who will bleed throughout her whole pregnancy. He also noticed a little clot next to the placenta, and that phantom baby was still there. We were beyond thrilled, thankful, and blown away by our sweet baby. We could see where the head was forming, little arm and leg buds, and that sweet little heartbeat. Praise God!
Thank you Lord for watching over our sweet baby and continuing to protect him/her. May you continue to be GLORIFIED in the story of your new creation.

5 comments:

Kendra White said...

Praise the LORD

Nathan and Stefany Head said...

i'm crying . . . hearing your sweet words tell this story . . . just too much. i love you and will continue to pray for your sweet baby Stout. i can't wait to meet the little one and tell him/her how much God loves him/her. what a blessing!

Mama Smors said...

i am so glad everything was okay. the same thing happened to me... i looked at all those fears as an outlet me to see God's perfect creation earlier than expected!

Unknown said...

Oh Emily. I am so thrilled that all is well!! Every time I was pregnant-sick, I was still so thankful to be. I know you are as well! =)

-- Jill Fisher

kitzkazventure said...

Oh, sweet girl, my stomach was hurting until I got to the end...Thank you LORD! Hugs! karen