Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ouch!

My mom, me, Jan (my second mom), and Kristin (the injector) at my 30th surprise party.




When Gayle called on Monday she instructed me to inject the HCG shot at 10:45 pm on Tuesday. This is a very time specific shot, but what you don't realize is this shot required mixing and I didn't feel comfortable messing with it...especially with the importance. (see below from Dr. Akin's website)


When the eggs are mature, you will be instructed to take the hCG injection at a specific time. This injection is timed about 34 hours before the egg retrieval. The timing of the hCG injection is critical and if it is given at the wrong time, pregnancy may not occur.


So it was time to call in my friend Kristin, the nurse. She was all about helping me out, but NEVER stays up late nights before she has to work. (She works 6am-6pm at an ER here in town). So at around 10:00 Colin and I called her and told her we were on our way to her house, mainly because we kept dosing off at home. I was scared that all of us would sleep through this important injection. Kristin was upstairs in her room when we got to her house. We all piled in her bed (Matt her hubs is in Vegas on "business") and watched the Olympics until 10:40. At 10:40 she started mixing. I decided to have her do this injection in my belly, if it is that important I don't want it to have too far to go. Man oh man...did it sting and is it still sore today. I just got off the website for Dr. Akin and it talked about 5% of patients get ovarian hyperstimulation...me being oh so hypochondriac-ish is thinking...I have a twisted ovary...see for yourself...


Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome occurs in 5% of patients. Approximately 5% of patients undergoing ART will develop ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. This occurs when the ovaries are extremely sensitive to the fertility medication and become quite enlarged and swollen. If this occurs, most patients are successfully treated at home on bed rest, but rare patients have to be hospitalized. One value of the blood estrogen testing and vaginal sonograms is that individuals at high risk for developing this hyperstimulation syndrome can be identified. Rarely, enlarged ovaries can become twisted (ovarian torsion) which may require surgical removal.


I need to get over that....I am going to head over to school today to do some finishing touches in our classroom. I don't think that I am planning on doing much but resting this weekend. I don't know if I will post tomorrow...maybe I will have Colin do it, especially since we will know how many eggs Dr. Akin retrieved. Each day following retrieval the embryologist will call and update us on our wee embryos. The implantation will be three or five days after retrieval, which means Sunday or Tuesday.


Please continue praying that God be the physician tomorrow and that He work through our lives and be glorified in this story...His story. We love ya.

5 comments:

Leigh said...

What?!? You don't know if you will post tomorrow??? I think Colin is up for the challenge! I, for one, would love a post from Colin. After all the prayer that has gone into this, you owe the blogging world at least a short and sweet post about how many eggs were retrieved and how you are doing!! Only, kidding (kinda). I am praying and can't wait to see what God does with all this!

Nathan and Stefany Head said...

Amen, Leigh! Amen! :) Em, God planned Thursday, Aug. 14th, 2008 for you a long time ago.... before the foundation of the earth. How sweet that He knows EXACTLY how tomorrow will go and every single day after that. We are praying. Nate and I will pray tonight before we go to bed for Dr. Akin and for you. I will call Colin tomorrow as soon as I get a break to see how everything went, k? I love you much and am SO EXCITED for you all!!!!!!

Father God, we trust you and thank you so much for reigning over this whole process for your glory and our joy in you. Be exalted as the ONE WHO PROVIDES em and colin with the gift of a child (or children)! Father, thank you for knowing exactly what is best and for working ALL THINGS together for your Holy Good. We love you!

Nathan and Stefany Head said...

p.s. You do not have ovarian hypo-whatever syndrome. :) I love ya.

Mama Smors said...

I will be saying a little prayer for you tomorrow morning :) Can't wait to see what God has in store for you and your husband!!!

Kendra White said...

i was reminded of you today when John Hunter and Ivy were singing "He's got the WHOLE world in his hands". That includes you and baby Stout. I am confident in the LORDS timing and I am praying for those eggs! Love and prayers... PS... let me know what time for dinner!