Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sex, Drugs, and...IVF?!?

I'm sure most of you know that Emily is a little under the weather today because of the big extraction procedure. Therefore, the update today comes from yours truly, Colin Wade.
Essentially, Emily and I had medically assisted intercourse today. I don't think it was the best ever but I still wanted to smoke a cigarette afterwards.

Today was the culmination of many months of preparation, prayer, thoughts, shots, and CASH!!
All started out ok...we were both on time, the staff was friendly, the sun was shining, the facility was wonderful.
Emily and I chatted in the waiting room, joked about "John and Kate Plus 8" (this is a common joke amongst many IVFers) and were called back right on time.
All was right amongst the Stouts. Until it came time for the IV.

The nurse gave Emily some numbing medicine and proceeded to poke and probe her like a pin cushion trying to get the IV started.
Left hand not working....let's try the right hand!
More numbing medication, tie the rubber band tighter, pump the fist, smack the veins....nothing!
At this time Emily starts to become clammy and sweaty. She tells me that her ears are ringing and she feels like she is about to pass out. The doctors rush in, put her feet up, rub alcohol under her nose and try to calm her down.

Emily finally gets calmed down...whew!...bring in another nurse to try to put the IV in!

More numbing medicine, tie the rubber band in a different spot, pump the fist, smack the veins...NOTHING!

Here we are, many thousands of dollars spent, hormones and medicine pumped into my wife's body, many nights of tears and anxiety, AND IT IS COMING TO A HALT OVER AN IV!!

All was not lost, the anesthesia doctor got Emily calmed down, and proceeded to get the IV started himself. Good stuff!

Next step...extract eggs!
I read in Farming Weekly that an average farm hen can produce between 10-12 eggs in a week.
With the help of modern medicine, my wife has set a new world record of 17 eggs in a day!

That's right, the doctors extracted 17 eggs today and were very confident and optimistic about the future. The only problem with getting 17 eggs is we have to pay the doctor overtime!

Here is an actual picture of the doctor still counting the eggs at 6:00pm. 1...2.....3......4....


Next step...extract sperm! WOOHOO!
We all know how this is done. I had a handle on this. (pun intended, no pictures needed for this section of blog)

Finally, mix egg and sperm. This is where we are right now. Hopefully we will receive a phone call tomorrow verifying that we have several succesful fertilizations! Until then, I will leave you with a picture of the egg and sperm "mixologist".

All in all everything went great today. Thanks for all of the support, thoughts and prayers.
Until tomorrow...
Love
Emily and Colin





5 comments:

Nathan and Stefany Head said...

Colin, you are quite the writer! You should start your own blog! :) I love how you so nicely described each step--a very thorough explanation. Hilarious. Congrats on such a great day today (minus the dumb IV)! 17 eggs... hmm.... I think you all could do it, don't you? 17 little stout's? 17 little high chairs? 17 little cribs? No problem! :) We love you all and are praying for the next step!

Leigh said...

Colin, you really have a future in blogging. I especially love the illustrations. Thanks for the step-by-step! I was trying to read aloud to Aaron so that he would understand the procedure....but, he gets all light-headed with just the IV description! Seriously, congrats! I am so, so excited about 17!!!!!! There are bound to be some good ones in the batch! We'll keep praying on our end!

Kendra White said...

colin... what if we want you to blog from now on... you did a great job. so glad everything went well... Congrats on a great... how wonderful to know the rest is in the LORDS hands... we love you guys!

Marie said...

You are so funny! Do I see a blogging future?

I am happy to know that all went well...I lookforward to reading the next post...Give my best to our girl!

Peace Out

Daneen said...

man, you and my husband need to get together (or maybe not)... you have the same sense of humor! I'm here through Marie and have gone through IVF. I've been praying and praying and praying. and will continue to do so.
17 is a great number!